Tuesday 13 September 2011

Virtue has its own reward

Managed a bit of painting between the virtuous tasks like recycling cardboard and taking son to piano lesson.  Painting, in this case meaning painting minis.  I'm not good at this as I haven't been doing it for very long, but slowly, slowly I'm building up technique.

There is something deeply satisfying about prodding about with a tiny paintbrush and filling in a belt buckle the size of a pinhead.  Hard to explain, but nonetheless true.

The painting was a reward for actually removing some of the mountainous piles of rubbish from around the house.  I'm a firm believer in carrot and stick, but I'm much better at the carrot end of the equation.  This time though I did a thing I've found impossible in the past and actually took some books down to the charity shop.  They were all duplicates, so it wasn't too bad, but it was still a real wrench and felt like such a huge betrayal.  I apologised to them all the way there.  Still feeling a bit guilty.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Rev - I know the feeling well. In recent months I've disposed of numerous books to charity shops. The only way to rationalise it is to say to yourself "they're going to a new home, where someone else will love them".

    It doesn't work, though :-(

    ReplyDelete